Jewelry is an accessory but can also be a symbol of love, a statement of style, or a cherished heirloom. Working with a great jeweler can help you find quality pieces, top after-sales services, and trustworthy advice. Trusted jewelry shops offer a personalized experience, helping you find pieces that fit your budget. Here are some tips to help you pick the best jewelers:
Look for Wide Jewelry Collections
Top jewelry shops stock a variety of jewelry styles, designs, and materials to suit their client’s preferences and budgets. A comprehensive jewelry collection allows you to find pieces that fit your style. Some jewelry options include watches, rings, engagement bands, earrings, bracelets, and necklaces. Not all jewelry shops stock multiple jewelry types. Some can specialize in specific jewelry, such as engagement and wedding rings, so find jewelers with inventory that matches your needs.
Consider Full-service Jewelry Shops
Besides selling jewelry, a good jeweler can also provide post-sale services. High-quality jewelry is often made to last and can be kept in good condition when accompanied by services like cleaning and polishing. Common post-sales services include:
- Jewelry Repair: Broken chains can be put back together to improve how the jewelry pieces fit you.
- Watch Repair: Minor and major watch repairs can be made with this service, along with changing your watch battery.
- Remounting: This service helps reinstall gems and colored stones on pendants, rings, bracelets, or earrings to give them a new life.
- Resizing: Resizing helps improve how jewelry pieces fit on your body.
- Cleaning: This service helps remove dust and dirt buildup from jewelry pieces, leaving them looking brand new.
- Polishing: Some jewelry items can lose their shine over time, so polishing helps buff out impurities on the surface to restore that new look.
- Customizing: A jeweler can help make pieces unique to you and cater to specific tastes and preferences.
- Appraisals: Since jewelry value may change over time, a jeweler can help you assess a piece’s relative quality and subsequent value.
- Estate Buying: If you want to sell a piece of jewelry, some jewelry shops will buy your gold pieces, diamond rings, colored stone jewelry, and more.
Purchasing from a full-service jewelry shop can make finding jewelry repair or cleaning services more convenient when you need them.
Check Policies and Warranties
When working with a jewelry shop, review their policies and warranties before buying or selling anything. Standard policies you can familiarize yourself with include:
- Payment Terms: This addresses all billing details regarding direct or indirect internet or walk-in jewelry purchases.
- Return Instructions: This covers purchase returns and how the jeweler will facilitate refunds. Check if the jeweler specifies the need for a receipt on return and any packing instructions to help you get a full refund if needed.
- Shipping Information: This covers the delivery period for each order and can also encompass information on what they are responsible for during the shipment process.
- Privacy Policies: This policy includes how the jewelry store will protect customer information collected online.
Some jewelers offer a warranty on their jewelry. Ask how long your jewelry would be covered under warranty and if any specific circumstances may void the warranty.
Work With Reputable Jewelers
Purchasing jewelry can be an investment, so seek reputable jewelers. A great jeweler offers a personalized shopping experience through services like customizing and cleaning. Jewelers can offer a variety of jewelry pieces from different designers, so you can choose items that match your style and budget.